Electronic Health Record (EHR)
The digitalization of health, eHealth, with the electronic medical record as a central part, brings important benefits:
- Safe and reliable storage of clinical information.
- Centralization of all information in a single registry that avoids omission and duplication.
- Availability of the record at any time and in any location.
- Security in the identification of both the patient and the healthcare professional.
- Acceleration of administrative procedures.
In addition, eHealth, along with its derivatives teleHealth and mHealth, allow new services impossible to provide previously such as
- patient telemonitoring,
- collaboration between specialists from different centres,
- the implementation of clinical decision support systems,
among many others.
Regional public health systems in Spain
In Spain, the different regions provide public healthcare and have developed initiatives to digitalize the clinical records of public health.
The implementation of these health records is widespread and there is continuous progress towards greater interoperability:
- between central, departmental and third-party solutions;
- with providers and clients who provide and consume clinical information;
- with partially or fully outsourced systems;
- and the national health system.
This means that interoperability is a requirement for everyone who wants to work with the public health system. Integration is a necessary condition and an essential part of any project.
How to integrate with a public health system?
Integrating with a public health system can be challenging:
- There are both in-house developments and third-party commercial software.
- The administrative management of integration requires a considerable amount of paperwork and documentation.
- Systems in operation can change for many reasons.
- Not all the health services are equally homogeneous and different solutions can coexist.
At Caduceus we have extensive experience integrating with EHR and public health systems and can help you manage, plan and implement the integration of your solution successfully.